• Don't be Left in the Cold!
  • Your One-Stop Home Heating Specialists for 15+ Years!
  • Council Permits

  • A building consent is required for installation of solid fuel heaters and log fires as these are covered by the NZ Building Code.

    For safety and environmental reason, the Marlborough District Council has restrictions on the type of appliance for which it will issue building consents. There are specific requirements that must be met for a building consent to be given. For more details, please read the brochure "Building Consents - Solid Fuel Heaters and Log Fires" below [also available on the MDC's Building Consents page].

    At Heating Marlborough, we have years of experience working with the council to secure building consents on behalf of our clients.

  • Here are our answers to some commonly asked questions

    Q: Do I need a permit if I am replacing an existing fire that already has one?
    A: Yes you do. Any new installation requires a permit by law and is governed by the Marlborough District Council.

    Q: Can I do my own permit?

    A: Yes you can. However, Heating Marlborough is happy to do this for you for a minimal fee which is what most our customers opt for.

    Q: Do you organise the Marlborough District Council inspection once the fire is installed?
    A: Yes this is all part of the service Heating Marlborough supplies to its customers.

    Q: Do I have to be there when the MDC inspector comes?
    A: Ideally it would be best if you were there. The process takes approximately 10-15 minutes. Heating Marlborough will endeavour to organise the inspection to suit your needs and if the only solution is for us to be there, we will be there!

    Q: How do I know the Inspector has approved the fire?
    A: You will receive a Code of Compliance Certificate from the Marlborough District Council by post.

    To get started on applying for the necessary building consents for installation of your fire, give us a call or come in to our Blenheim showroom today.